Here’s an open thread until the game thread comes along a little later. MLB Network will have regional games tonight and ESPN+ will have the Cubs and Brewers. Anything except religion or politics goes here. Talk about whatever.
The Yankees are out on the West Coast this week, which means we’re in for a bunch of 10pm ET start times. Tonight’s game is still a few hours way. In the meantime, I suggest reading Grant Brisbee’s take on a potential minor league players’ union. The MLBPA is not going to fold them in, so it’s up to the minor leaguers to take care of themselves. Check it out. Brisbee’s always worth a read.
Here’s an open thread for the night. The regular game thread will be along closer to first pitch. FOX Sports 1 will have the Rangers and Angels for some reason. Talk about that game or anything that isn’t religion or politics right here. Thanks in advance.
Minor League Update: Don’t wait around for DotF tonight, folks. There won’t be one. There are no minor league games today. The minor league regular season ended yesterday and Triple-A Scranton and Double-A Trenton don’t begin their first round postseason series until tomorrow.
For the second time in four days, the Yankees have an off-day today. They’ll be in Baltimore for four games this weekend before returning home next week for a seven-game homestand. Wanna here something crazy? That is their second to last homestand of the regular season. For real. Anyway, I suggest checking out R.J. Anderson’s piece on scouting lingo. There have been countless great one-liners over the years.
Here’s an open thread for this Yankees baseball-less evening. MLB Network is showing a regional game tonight and there’s a preseason NFL game on as well (Eagles vs. Browns on FOX). Talk about those games or anything else here, as long as it’s not religion or politics. Thanks in advance.
Here is an open thread for the night. The Mets are playing, MLB Network will have regional games at 7pm ET and 10pm ET, and ESPN+ will have the Orioles and Blue Jays for some reason. ESPN will have a preseason NFL game as well (Ravens vs. Colts at 8pm ET). Talk about those games, Carig’s article, or anything else right here. Just no religion or politics, please. Thanks in advance.
The 2018 non-waiver trade deadline is 4pm ET today and wow have the Yankees been busy. The busiest team in baseball over the last week or so, right? Feels like it. The Yankees have completed six trades in the last six days, some more impactful than others. A recap:
- Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers, and Cody Carroll for Zach Britton. (RAB post)
- Brandon Drury and Billy McKinney for J.A. Happ. (RAB post)
- Chasen Shreve and Gio Gallegos for Luke Voit and $1M in international bonus money. (RAB post)
- Caleb Frare for $1.5M in international bonus money. (RAB post)
- Adam Warren for $1.25M in international bonus money. (RAB post)
- Tyler Austin and Luis Rijo for Lance Lynn. (RAB post)
Eleven players out, four players and $3.75M worth of international bonus money in. Know what the crazy thing is? I am not at all convinced the Yankees are done. They could still use another outfielder (because Aaron Judge is hurt) as well as a catcher (because Gary Sanchez is hurt). Plus more pitching. I’d rather have too much than not enough.
We’re once again going to keep track of the day’s Yankees-related rumors right here, so make sure you check back for updates. The Yankees have made so many moves already that I can’t promise many rumors today, they might in fact be done, but I am open to being surprised. Chat about all the day’s trade deadline rumors and activity here.
- 2:28pm ET: The Yankees will not be getting Cameron Maybin. He’s been traded to the Mariners. The Yankees reportedly remain in the hunt for a right-handed outfield bat, however.
- 11:10am ET: The Yankees want a right-handed outfield bat to help cover for Judge, though they were not in on Tommy Pham, who was traded to the Rays. They want someone comfortable with a bench role. [Joel Sherman]
- 10:49am ET: The Yankees have “zero interest” in Matt Harvey, and that was even before the Happ and Lynn trades. Not surprised. I couldn’t see the Yankees bringing him back to New York, especially since there’s little reason to believe he can pitch well in Yankee Stadium. [Andy Martino]
- 10:36am ET: You can stop fantasizing about Harper now. “Bryce is not going anywhere. I believe in this team,” said Nationals GM Mike Rizzo this morning. [Chelsea Janes]
- 10:21am ET: The Yankees have discussed Brad Ziegler with the Marlins. Unless there would be another deal coming a la Warren/Lynn, I’m not sure where he fits. Maybe they’re trying to drive up the price for the Red Sox, who have been connected to Ziegler. [Feinsand]
- 10:20am ET: The Yankees are expected to add an outfielder today. Expecting to add an outfielder and actually adding an outfielder are two different things though. [Ken Rosenthal, Feinsand]
- 10:09am ET: The Yankees have spoken to the Mets about Jose Bautista. The Mets don’t want to give him away though, plus the chances of a Yankees-Mets trade are always small. [Heyman]
- 9:30am ET: In case you missed it last night, the Nationals have made Bryce Harper available. The Yankees haven’t checked in as far as we know, but still, this is pretty noteworthy. [Mark Feinsand]
- 9:30am ET: The Yankees are among the teams with interest in impending free agent Andrew McCutchen. The Giants insist they’re not ready to sell even though they’ve fallen out of the race. McCutchen is definitely someone who could be on the move in August. [Jon Morosi]
- 9:30am ET: The Yankees have also checked in on Curtis Granderson and Cameron Maybin, so they’re casting a wide net for an outfielder in the wake of Judge’s injury. I’d be all for a Granderson reunion. The R2C2 podcast episode alone would make it worth it. [Morosi, Jon Heyman]
Reminder: Your trade proposal sucks.
Anyway, here is an open thread for the night. Light baseball schedule today. ESPN will have games at 7pm ET (Phillies at Red Sox) and 10pm ET (Brewers at Dodgers), and that’s pretty much it for nationally televised games. Talk about those games, the trade deadline, or anything that isn’t religion or politics right here. Thanks in advance.
The 2018 non-waiver trade deadline is one day away. The Yankees have already made several trades, most notably acquiring Zach Britton from the Orioles and J.A. Happ from the Blue Jays. Lot more early trades than usual this year, no? Not just the Yankees, all around baseball. Manny Machado, Brad Hand, Cole Hamels, Nathan Eovaldi, Jeurys Familia, Mike Moustakas … all traded already. Weird.
Anyway, even after adding Britton and Happ, the Yankees could still make some moves prior to tomorrow’s 4pm ET deadline. Aaron Judge will miss at least three weeks with a wrist injury, so the Yankees could look to bring in another bat. Also, another catcher could be in order too. Gary Sanchez might not return until September. Plus pitching depth. I’m sure they’re still open to adding a controllable starter.
“We haven’t peeled the onion enough to tell you exactly what we will do. If something presents itself that allows us flexibility and makes sense, we can evaluate that,” said Brian Cashman to Joel Sherman following the Judge injury. “I’m sure things will be thrown our way (now that Judge is out). We will see if anything makes sense as we navigate the marketplace before it closes.”
We’re going to keep track of all the day’s Yankees-related trade rumors right here. I can’t promise there were will be many of them because the Yankees have already addressed their most pressing needs with Britton and especially Happ, but I’m sure there will be some. Chat about all the day’s trade deadline rumors and activity right here.
- 4:48pm ET: It is “not likely” the Yankees will acquire Archer, which doesn’t surprise me. Non-rental intra-division trades can be complicated and so many other teams are in the mix that Tampa shouldn’t have trouble getting a strong offer. [Heyman]
- 12:22pm ET: The Yankees are among the teams to have shown the most interest in Zack Wheeler. The Mets have set a high price because he’s pitched well lately, though his injury history suggests a smaller return is warranted. [Heyman]
- 11:30am ET: The Yankees are among the main players for Chris Archer, along with the Padres, Dodgers, and Braves. Tampa Bay had scouts watching Justus Sheffield and Triple-A Scranton on Saturday. [Jon Heyman, Ken Rosenthal]
- 11:30am ET: Not surprisingly, the Yankees have interest in adding a bat in the wake of the Judge injury. Specifically, they’re looking for a right-handed hitter who can play the outfield. They’re looking, but it’s not considered a pressing need. [Heyman]
- 11:30am ET: The Braves are among the teams scouting Sonny Gray. The Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants, Indians, and Phillies all had scouts at Yankee Stadium over the weekend. [Brendan Kuty, George King]
Reminder: Your trade proposal sucks.